Taking action is the concluding stage of the inquiry process. It assists students to consider what they have learnt and encourages them to respond, applying their new knowledge and skills. Global Perspectives(2008, p 7) outlines these skills and attitudes to foster action and participation.
- The ability to identify and investigate different opportunities for action and participation.
- The ability to consider the consequences, positive and negative, for oneself and for others of particular actions.
- A willingness to be involved in action to support desirable outcomes.
- A capacity to identify possible barriers to successful participation and ability to devise strategies to overcome these.
- A willingness and capacity to cooperate with others and to foster, encourage and value the participation of others.
- A capacity to reflect on and evaluate forms of action, to review progress and to reconsider forms of action.
Action may be personal, based within a local community or as part of a global community.
Action may be varying levels of involvement:
To learn more – reading, viewing, talking to others, interviewing experts
To act more – changing own behaviour, discussing ideas with others, joining groups of like-minded people, signing petitions, educating others, creating displays, writing blogs, letters and opinion articles, creating film and drama, making speeches, talking to decision-makers, advocating change.
To share more – donating, fundraising, volunteering
Civil Society Organisations
There are many types of groups through which people can join together to pursue shared interests and take action for change. These include community- and village-based groups, Indigenous groups, labour unions, cooperatives, charitable and faith-based organisations, professional associations, chambers of commerce, independent research institutes and the not-for-profit media. They vary greatly according to philosophy, purpose, programs, working style, scope of activities, expertise and structures.
The following organisations offer learning resources and opportunities for taking action: